Gouda's Hidden Gem: Campanile Hotel & Restaurant Review (You Won't Believe This!)

Campanile Hotel & Restaurant Gouda Netherlands

Campanile Hotel & Restaurant Gouda Netherlands

Gouda's Hidden Gem: Campanile Hotel & Restaurant Review (You Won't Believe This!)

Gouda's Hidden Gem: Campanile Hotel & Restaurant Review (You Won't Believe This!) - My Honest, Messy Experience

Alright, folks, buckle up. This ain't your glossy travel brochure review. This is real life at the Campanile Hotel & Restaurant in Gouda, and let me tell you, it's a wild ride. I went in expecting…well, probably something pretty standard. A functional, forgettable hotel. What I got was… something else.

First, the Basics (Before the Madness Begins):

Let's get the boring stuff out of the way. Accessibility: Yeah, they say they have facilities for disabled guests. I didn't need them personally, but it's always good to know. Internet Access? They boast Free Wi-Fi in all rooms!, and yeah, it worked. Mostly. See, that "mostly" is a theme here. Internet [LAN]? Don't know, didn't try. Internet services, Wi-Fi in public areas? Fine, fine. Blah blah blah. Okay, moving on.

Cleanliness & Safety (The COVID Chronicles):

Look, I booked this place post-pandemic, but the fear of germs still lingers, right? Well, they take this seriously. Everything is apparently disinfected daily. They’ve got Anti-viral cleaning products, Hand sanitizer everywhere, and the staff are, supposedly, trained in safety protocol. They’ve got a Safe dining setup, Sanitized kitchen and tableware items, Room sanitization opt-out available (which is good!). I'm assuming they use Professional-grade sanitizing services. However, I will admit I spent most of my waking hours here a little anxious.

Rooms (The Good, the Bad, and the REALLY Ugly):

My room? Well, let's just say it had character. The Free Wi-Fi was a lifesaver, especially with all the photos of the hotel I took to send to my friends. It was a Non-smoking room (thank the heavens!), and had Air conditioning (essential in summer). There was a Desk. A Coffee/tea maker (hallelujah!). A Refrigerator (great for stashing those Gouda cheese samples!). A Shower. And a toiletries. They provided towels, and bathrobes. The bed was okay. I have no idea what an Alarm clock is. There was a window that opens, the room actually opened and let in the light and air.

But the carpeting, was a bit tired. The sofa probably saw better days and it didn't have a mirror in the front room.

Dining, Drinking, and Snacking (The True Test):

This is where things get interesting. The Restaurant is the Campanile's beating heart, and the Breakfast [buffet] is…an experience. I'm just going to say it: the coffee wasn't great. The Asian breakfast, was… intriguing. The pastries, though? Surprisingly good, especially the coffee/tea in the restaurant.

I will admit, I found the A la carte in the restaurant to be very good! There was an International cuisine in the restaurant that was particularly enjoyable, I never actually ordered and tried a Dessert in the restaurant. They did have a Bar, the Poolside bar was perfect for winding down. And I'm ashamed to say I tried the Happy hour. I tried the Soup in the restaurant and wasn't sure what to make of it.

Things to Do & Ways to Relax (Or Not):

Okay, so the Sauna, the Spa, the Gym/fitness. I saw them. Didn't use them. Let's be honest, I came to Gouda to, uh, eat cheese and wander around charming cobblestone streets. But they're there, if you're into that sort of thing.

Now, for the Experience That REALLY Sold Me:

Here's my messy, honest, and human verdict:

The Staff: A Mixed Bag (But Mostly Good):

The staff are… well, let's say they are a mixed bag. Some are incredibly helpful and friendly. A few seemed a little… stressed. I think they're trying, bless their hearts. It's a lot of work when they have to do the daily housekeeping, when they have to do the laundry service, and everything else, and a lot of things to be afraid of.

Location, Location, Location (and the Imperfect Beauty):

Gouda itself? Magic. Simply magic. The Campanile isn't right in the heart of the action, but it's close enough. You can easily walk to the Markt square, explore the cheese market, and soak up the atmosphere.

I have to admit, sometimes there were Smoke alarms. The soundproofing left me with no fear of the outside world.

The Unexpected Gem (The Value Proposition):

Look, the Campanile Gouda isn't luxury. It's not perfect. But it's clean, it's convenient, and it's affordable. It’s a perfectly fine base for exploring a fantastic city.

Final Verdict: Should You Book?

If you want a flawless five-star experience? Go elsewhere. But if you're looking for a decent, budget-friendly hotel in a charming area with a bit of character, the Campanile Gouda is a surprisingly decent option.

My Offer (The Gouda Getaway Guru's Guide):

Tired of generic hotel stays? Craving a taste of authentic Dutch charm without breaking the bank? Then look no further than the Campanile Hotel Gouda!

Here's what you'll get:

  • A cozy room - No frills, just the essentials (and free Wi-Fi!)
  • A fantastic location - Right on the outskirts of the central Gouda
  • Convenient access - Easily walk to all of the major attractions
  • Affordable pricing - One of the most affordable hotels
  • A slightly quirky experience - With a staff that’s trying its best.

Book now to experience the "Hidden Gem" of Gouda! It might not be perfect, but it'll be an honest, memorable, and completely Gouda-licious adventure.

Drexel's Parkhotel Germany: Unbelievable Luxury Awaits You!

Book Now

Campanile Hotel & Restaurant Gouda Netherlands

Alright, buckle up, buttercups. This isn't your grandma's polished travel itinerary. This is the real Gouda experience, Campanile Hotel & Restaurant edition. Prepare for a rollercoaster of cheese, canals, and existential dread.

Day 1: Arrival & The Great Gouda Gate-Crash (Or, How I Lost My Luggage Before Even Getting To The Cheese)

  • 8:00 AM (ish): Arrive at Schiphol Airport, Amsterdam. "Arrival" being a generous term. More like… stumble out of a jetlagged haze, clutch my passport for dear life, and immediately get swallowed by a tidal wave of Dutch bikes. Seriously, they're everywhere. It's like a silent, two-wheeled invasion.
  • 8:30 AM: Realize my luggage is currently on an all-expenses-paid trip to… somewhere other than Gouda. Cue mild panic mingled with a faint, childish glee at the prospect of buying all the clothes. This is how any trip starts, right?
  • 9:30 AM: Train to Gouda. The journey is… a blur of windmills, canals, and the desperate need for caffeine. I swear, the Dutch could power the entire country on the efficiency of their train system. They’re basically time-traveling wizards.
  • 10:30 AM: Arrive in Gouda! The town is… well, it's adorable. Like a Renaissance painting that's decided to go on a permanent vacation. The canals are postcard-perfect, the buildings lean in on each other like gossip-mongering old ladies, and the air smells faintly, gloriously of… cheese anticipation.
  • 11:00 AM: Check into Campanile Hotel & Restaurant Gouda. The hotel is… functional. Clean, the staff are lovely, and it has the comforting smell of industrial cleaning products and… well, I’m sure there were more important factors, but I was lost in my missing luggage.
  • 12:00 PM: Lunch at the Campanile restaurant. Ordered the Gouda cheese sandwich, obviously. The cheese was… amazing. Creamy, pungent, the kind of cheese that makes you close your eyes and moan in ecstasy. The bread, however, was a bit… meh. Ah well. Can't win 'em all, especially with no clothes to wear when they bring you a sandwich that should be the main event of the trip.
  • 1:00 PM: Explore the Mark, Gouda's central square. It looks like something out of a storybook. The Stadhuis (Town Hall) is a gothic masterpiece, and the whole place just oozes history. But, honestly? Still thinking about my suitcase and, in particular, that amazing cheese sandwich.
  • 2:00 PM: Hit up a few shops in search of… well, anything I could wear. This is where the "lost luggage" situation truly bites. Found a t-shirt with a picture of a cow wearing a cheese hat. Purchased it. Felt like a right tourist.
  • 3:00 PM: Wandered the canals, took some pictures. They're so picturesque, you could throw a camera in the air and get a good shot. I also fell into a slight existential spiral, wondering if my life was just a series of fleeting moments and, should I be doing more, or maybe less?
  • 4:00 PM: Stumbled upon a stroopwafel stand. Ate approximately 3. They were pure, gooey, caramel-y perfection. Seriously, these things should be a national treasure.
  • 5:00 PM: Back to the hotel. Vowed to call the airline again about the luggage. (Spoiler alert: they still hadn't found it). Started thinking about new outfits and wondering if I was meant to live in Gouda.
  • 7:00 PM: Dinner at Campanile. Ordered the steak. Slightly overcooked, but I was too emotionally worn down to complain. This travel thing is harder than I thought.
  • 8:00 PM: Collapse into bed, feeling a strange mixture of exhaustion and, well, something akin to happiness related to cheese sandwiches. And the cow wearing a cheese hat.

Day 2: Cheese, Canals, and Existential Angst (or, The Day My Inner Tourist Took Over)

  • 8:00 AM: Breakfast at the Campanile. Attempted to charm the waitstaff with a smile and a desperate, "Can you please find my luggage?".
  • 9:00 AM: Cheese Market! I had to go. It's Gouda! It's the thing. The whole thing is a show! The cheese! The hats! The wooden carts! I felt like I was on a movie set with the best kind of actors – dedicated, cheese-loving ones! I bought a whole wheel of aged cheese, which I'm convinced is now going to explode in my backpack.
  • 10:30 AM: Canal tour. The canals are beautiful, yes, but the whole time I was just obsessing about which Gouda-themed knick-knack I should buy. I started calculating the cost of a life-size resin cheese wheel.
  • 12:00 PM: Lunch at a cafe. Had a kroket (deep-fried meat croquette). Crispy outside, surprisingly meaty inside, a little bit of heaven in a greasy package. Ate it standing up and loved every bite.
  • 1:00 PM: Went to the Museum Gouda. Learned all about the history of Gouda. It turns out, Gouda didn't just invent delicious cheese; it's also a pretty important part of Dutch history. Felt like I was finally understanding something.
  • 3:00 PM: Finally got my suitcase (it was, in fact, in Amsterdam). My heart leaps. My clothes. My shoes. My… life! I was happy.
  • 4:00 PM: Back to the shops to replace the cheesy cow shirt. I now have a real souvenir!
  • 5:00 PM: Walked around the canals again. Contemplated my life. This is much better with my clothes.
  • 7:00 PM: Dinner at Campanile. Decided to treat myself to something decadent.
  • 8:00 PM: Packed my bag (again). Feeling a profound sense of satisfaction, along with a slight cheese-induced stomach ache.

Day 3: Goodbyes & Gratitudes (or, My Unforgettable Journey)

  • 8:00 AM: Breakfast at Campanile (still no luggage).
  • 9:00 AM: One last stroll around Gouda. One last sniff of the air for cheese. Maybe I will become a cheese specialist…
  • 10:00 AM: Goodbye to Gouda.
  • 11:00 AM: Train to Amsterdam. The cheese is now smelling in my backpack, but I don't even care.
  • 12:00 PM: Arrival at Schiphol Airport.
  • 1:00 PM: Ready to go home.

So, yeah. That was Gouda. A chaotic, cheese-filled, and surprisingly moving experience. I learned that Gouda is more than just cheese. It's history, it's beauty, and most importantly, it's a reminder that sometimes, even when your luggage is lost, you can still find a little bit of joy. And, honestly? The cheese made everything a whole lot better. I love Gouda. I need to go back – maybe with a bigger suitcase. And definitely with a shopping list.

Escape to Paradise: Aussie Mansion Sleeps 20!

Book Now

Campanile Hotel & Restaurant Gouda Netherlands

Gouda's Hidden Gem: Campanile Hotel & Restaurant – FAQs (Because Let's Face It, You Need 'Em!)

So, Is This Campanile Hotel REALLY a "Hidden Gem"? Or Just... a Hotel?

Okay, let's be brutally honest. "Hidden gem" is MARKETING speak, isn't it? But here's the thing: I *wanted* to hate it. Gouda is adorable, all canals and cheese markets, and I thought Campanile would be some soulless chain. Wrong. It's... surprisingly charming? Look, it’s not the Ritz, but for the price, and the location, it actually kinda *is*. Especially after you've been wandering around dodging bikes and desperately needing a good beer and a burger.

The Rooms... Are They Awful? Tell Me the Truth!

Alright, the rooms. They’re… functional. Expect clean. Expect… basic. My first impression? "Ah, the land of beige." But! The bed was comfortable. And the shower, crucially, had decent water pressure! (A BIG win in my book, after a day of cheese-induced bloat needing a wash-off). The view? Well, I got a lovely vista of… the car park. But honestly? Didn't care. I was there for the Gouda (and maybe a sneaky nap). If you’re expecting opulent luxury, you’re in the wrong place. If you're expecting *usable*, comfortable, and CLEAN? You're good. Just maybe pack your own cushion if you're a princess on the pea.

Let's Talk About the Restaurant. The Food... Please, Tell Me It's Not Just Frozen Burgers.

Okay, here's where it gets interesting. Dinner. I went in with LOW expectations. Like, scraping-the-bottom-of-the-barrel low. I'd already mentally prepared myself for a soggy salad. Instead... it was actually... good. Seriously. The burger? Juicy. The fries? Crispy. I ordered a side of onion rings, those were a bit too "ring shaped" maybe, but they were edible. The service? Not lightning-fast, but friendly. And the beer? Cold. And on tap! There's a steak on the menu too, which I didn't try, but based on the general vibe, I'd wager it was better than your average chain hotel steak. Okay, so it’s not Michelin-starred, but it’s perfectly acceptable after a long trip. They absolutely nail that "comfort food" thing. And frankly, sometimes that's all you need.

Breakfast! Is it Continental or Contemptible?

Ah, breakfast. The acid test. It was... fine. Yeah, "fine" is the word. Standard Continental fare. Croissants, some questionable-looking ham, cheese (obviously), and the obligatory juice machine that probably tastes like orange-flavored dish soap. The coffee? Drinkable. The scrambled eggs, surprisingly, weren't rubbery! The key here is not to overthink it. Grab a croissant, slather it with butter, and fuel up for a day of cheese-fueled adventures. It'll get you through. Don't expect anything fancy, but you won't starve. And hey, it's included in the price, so no complaining!

Okay, But What About the Location?! Gouda Itself – Is It Easy to Get Around? Close to the Good Stuff?

Okay, this is where the Campanile really shines. Seriously, the location is fantastic! It's like, a five-minute walk to the Markthal (the famous market hall) and the main square where the Gouda cheese market happens. Which, by the way, you absolutely HAVE to see if you're there on market day. The hotel staff was really good at explaining it, they even give out maps for free, but to be honest I was too excited to properly listen, I just went and got lost in the cheese-filled mayhem. Don't worry about parking – they have on-site parking, which in a town as charmingly congested as Gouda, is a godsend. Seriously, its location is one of the biggest selling points.

Any "Hidden Gems" (Actual Ones!) In or Around the Hotel?

The hotel itself? Not really. But! The *real* hidden gem is Gouda itself! Get lost in the side streets. Find the little cheese shops with the grumpy-but-lovable owners. Look for a cute cafe, that does apple pie, order the apple pie, and sit outside and watch the world go by. THAT's the hidden gem. Seriously. Campanile is just your launchpad. Explore! Be adventurous! And for the love of all things Gouda, try the stroopwafels.

What About the Staff? Are They Grumpy or Helpful?

Okay, here's another pleasantly surprising bit. The staff were actually... nice! Not overly smiley, but helpful, and spoke decent English. They seemed to genuinely care, which is more than you can say for some hotels. I needed help with the self-service laundry and they helped me with a smile. So, big thumbs up for the staff. They made the whole experience better.

Would You Stay Here Again? The Verdict?

Honestly? Yeah, I would. If I went back to Gouda (and I'd happily go back JUST for the cheese and the atmosphere), I’d probably stay at the Campanile again. Because, despite my initial cynicism, it's actually… good. It’s clean, it's comfortable, the food is decent (for a chain hotel), the staff are friendly, and the location is perfect. It's not the height of luxury, and it's definitely not going to win any design awards, but it's a reliable, affordable, and surprisingly pleasant base for exploring the gorgeousness that is Gouda. So, yeah, a "hidden gem"? Maybe not. But definitely a solid choice. And hey, it's better than sleeping in a car.

Any Crazy Stories or Memorable Moments? Spill the Tea!

Around The World Hotels

Campanile Hotel & Restaurant Gouda Netherlands

Campanile Hotel & Restaurant Gouda Netherlands